Some of the most used words in tech field over the last couple of years include big data, internet of things, Machine to Machine (M2M) communication and connected devices. In case you already don’t know the meaning of M2M, this guide will clear all your doubts and enhance your awareness about this present-day technology.
What Is M2M?
M2M is the ability of machines through which they exchange useful data with other machines, humans, and organizational systems whenever needed. M2M is inspired by the updated versions of telemetry technology. In order to facilitate successful M2M communication, one needs a robust wireless network optimized device, excellent network reach, and a solid back-end server.
In general, users operate machines for desired outcomes, but M2M doesn’t require human interference. M2M has been in existence for a very long time, but it got real surge after the wireless technology became popular.
Key Components of M2M
There can be many components of M2M technology, but the major ones are-
- Wi-Fi Device
- RFID (Radio Frequency Identification)
- Cellular Communication Link, and
- Computing Software
Also Read: History of Internet of Things
Applications of M2M
M2M is one of the most sought after and revolutionary technologies of today’s time. It can be used in many different sectors to achieve world-class results. Here are some of the major applications of M2M technology-
- Home Appliances: Global companies like Amazon have started putting M2M in home appliances so that users can live a hassle-free life. For example, a smart washing machine from Amazon can order the washing powder automatically as soon as it gets over and Amazon ships the product within the least possible time to ensure that users don’t have to worry about anything. Companies like LG, Samsung, etc., have already started putting their efforts to build more M2M enabled home appliances in the coming months.
- Manufacturing: Manufacturing is at the core of every economy in the world. As the popularity of M2M technology rises, manufacturers are likely to adopt those machines that can work with very less or no human interference. Besides, in the case of any machine failure, M2M technology can place a new order for repair or replacement automatically.
- Smart Utility Management: Developed countries have started experimenting with smart utility management system. Smart meters can collect the monthly energy consumption data of users by themselves and sent it to the energy company, cutting off the role of the meter-reading executive and saving a significant amount of time. It’s a matter of time before smart meters become a part of developing countries’ utility management system.
- Healthcare Field: There are many inefficiencies today’s healthcare sector. Many times, due to the absence of experts in the case of emergency cases, patients lose their lives. What if M2M technology can be implemented in the medical and healthcare field and improves this situation. Experts are working on such devices that can handle emergency situations and offer primary treatment facilities to patients in the case of emergencies.
Additionally, M2M can improve the situation for those patients who can’t move out of their houses due to various reasons. It can make the healthcare services as easy as one may think of.
These are just a few examples of how M2M can make people’s lives easy and hassle-free. With the passage of time, it will expand its reach to traffic management, retail market, banking, payment system, etc. For any company that wants to target future-centric technologies in the market, M2M can prove to be the best option to give a shot.
Share your feedback with us in the comment section. Danny Amendola Authentic Jersey